Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My grand-daughter's child was removed from her custody when

Customer Question

My grand-daughter's child was removed from her custody when her mother, who had a bad relationship with her, reported her to children's services. They came in and, without gathering any evidence against the child's mother, removed the new-born child. My grand-daughter, who resides in PA, has been trying to complete the requirements of the court. They however, seem to make it very difficult for her to meet the requirements. They change dates, delay courses required, don't give her notification of changes in visitation schedules, etc... My husband and I have volunteered to bring them both to live with us here in Palm Bay, Fl. I was told the process could take 5-6 months. That was last February and 6 months later, today, THE CHILD'S FIRST BIRTHDAY, she's still in the system; and it was visitation day , the visits were re-scheduled-, BUT NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL THE BROKEN-HEARTED MOTHER who looked forward to seeing her daughter for two hours on her birthday! Is there anything that can be one to transfer her case to Florida?
Can she possibly sue the state of PA if they removed her child without first observing and verifying that the child was in danger?
What kind of lawyer would she need?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response 1: Unfortunately, no. Florida will not have jurisdiction because the child is in PA.
Response 2: No, she cannot. The State has power to remove a child if the State has information that the child could be in danger. The State acts in the best interests of the child. She cannot sue the State under the circumstances.