socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have a Interstate child support case against me from

Customer Question

I have a Interstate child support case against me from Minnesota which is enforced in GA. The interstate has been closed for some years now. If that is the case, why is the GA not closed and money returned to me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Have you contacted Georgia child support services? If yes, then what did they tell you, if anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Lawyer just sent them this file..I really need to know if this should be closed on GA as well.

Okay, thanks.

Yes, the case should be closed, unless there is some amount of arrears which has not been collected or distributed.

Frankly, child support enforcement agencies are provided with incentive payments from the federal government to continue collecting child support. The amount is between 5-15% of the amount collected and distributed. Consequently, GA DCSS has no particular incentive to close your case, as long as there is any possibility that you may still be obligated for support.

If you are not obligated for any further support or arrears, and GA DCSS refuses to close the case, then you would have to petition the Superior Court for an order against DCSS (termed "writ of mandate"). This could be costly, and may not be worth the effort. But, it's legally possible, if you have no other alternative.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!