Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If I am court ordered to sell my house thru a divorce, and I

Customer Question

If I am court ordered to sell my house thru a divorce, and I am the sole owner, but the respondent has interest in the house,and I pill the house off the market before the final hearing, what can happen to me???
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If there is a court order in place requiring you to sell the house, then you would be facing a charge of contempt if you violate the order. Penalties for contempt range from a slap on the wrist, to a fine to being jailed.....it just depends on how badly you upset the judge.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

However, the judge will ultimately require you to comply with the order.......so the outcome isn't going to be different. The only real alternative is if you can come up with enough cash to buy your ex out.....and if you can do that, the judge could allow you to keep the property after the buyout.