Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

First of all before starting, I need an experienced divorce

Customer Question

First of all before starting, I need an experienced divorce attorney. My ex's lawyer is HIGH profile in NYC. I truly need a divorce attorney. I have never had a problem with this before
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
What can I answer for you?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used this site at least 4 - 5 times if not more. I have always received legal advise, even to the extent of examples of related cases, i.e. Miller vs Miller (that is a made up case but an example. What am I missing now?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what you mean by "what am I missing." Your original question states that you "need a divorce attorney." I assumed that you meant you have some questions? Or do you wish to hire counsel?
Also, JustAnswer experts can never give legal advice. It is general information only - it has always been like this and the numerous disclaimers throughout the site reflect this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have NO TIME to sit on the phone - I am just home from the hospital (in need of a liver transplant, worn out). I need to come back and forth to the site, as among all of this I am moving up the road starting Friday and am slowly packing. I guess I will ask the questions and pray for the best.
#1 I am NOT represented any longer and can not afford to hire again. In my divorce settlement there is a stipulation that I was to get $150,000 on a certain day and I did. My attorney was to be paid first (was), and then my second lawyer that once finding out I was getting money, attached a Lien causing havoc . I received a minimal amount, but the rest was put in escrow until I settled with him (this will be question number two. Back to number one. In the Settlement Agreement it is CLEARLY stated that an additional $150,000 is to be paid to me ( in this case now would be escrow) on July 1, 2015. If this is not done, it states that he would owe me an additional $25,000 and the deed to the house would go back in my name ( of course this is huge and I would sell). I live in MO now and the case was settled in Brooklyn NY. How do QUICKLY, go about filing a Contempt of Court Motion, being out of state and no lawyer, as I received an email from my ex saying he would try to pay by Labor Day - that is 2 months late and I am tired of being railroaded.#2 Regarding the second lawyer that left me 2 months before trial, sent a signed letter to my lawyer agreeing to accept $16,500 rather than the full $41,000. I agreed. Then apparently he went after my ex for the remainder and of course his high profile NYC lawyer laughed. He then called my lawyer and said if I added an additional $5,000 (which to me is extortion) he would call it a day. Court was held recently and my ex, his lawyer, and my second lawyer showed up. The papers sent to me to not seem to apply to me, I thought it was second lawyer going after my ex for the difference. Since I was not there (and I am sure the Judge did not get the whole story, he was awarded and paid $41,000 from escrow. All the meanwhile, I had already filed a Grievance and then was directed to send 6 copies of any pertinent documents to the Bar Association, which I am understanding is still under review. Do I try to send overnight return receipt with a letter and attach second lawyers agreement to the Judge that awarded him in full, and or contact the Bar Association?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.
Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...