Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

In a dissolution and property division matter, where the

Customer Question

In a dissolution and property division matter, where the parties have come to an agreement in court and the judge enters it on record (if that is the right terminology) is it considered an Order? And, what happens if one of the parties does not follow that Order?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the parties came to a private agreement and the judge approved it and entered it into the record, then it becomes a binding order that either party can then enforce.

.

If one party is violating the agreement, then the other can file a motion for contempt of court with the judge who approved the order to force the violating party to appear and explain why they are violating an agreement that they voluntarily entered into and the judge approved and made an order in the case. The judge can then take actions from a verbal admonition to fines, to actually holding the person in contempt and imposing up to 6 months in jail for civil contempt. But realistically jailtime is not going to happen unless the person willfully violates again after being ordered by the judge to comply with the order.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks much.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much