Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in NJ and my ex wife lives in palm beach county, fl

Customer Question

I live in NJ and my ex wife lives in palm beach county, fl and was arrested on Monday August 3 for child neglect without bodily harm. I tried to apply for emergency child custody through nj with my lawyer up here but was denied for the reasons of dcf did not find the house unsafe at the moment and the said it was a jurisdiction problem that I should file through Florida since that is my children home state. Do I even stand a chance filing in Florida or should I wait till she goes to court and what that out come is?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 1 year ago.

Hi, that's correct. You would have been denied because the children are residents of FL and the FL courts currently have jurisdiction over them. Your chances for getting custody are fairly good in this type of situation, even if it is temporary until your wife's criminal case had been decided. I am in Palm Beach County and am happy to refer you to a family law specialist.