Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I live in Wisconsin. I am getting divorced and my wife wants

Customer Question

I live in Wisconsin. I am getting divorced and my wife wants alimony. We have been married for 19 years. I earn 62k per year and she earns 45k per year. I'm going to have to pay 25% of my income for child support. What I'm wondering is whether they consider the fact that I am paying child support when they determine the amount of alimony to be paid? By paying child support, my income would be reduced to 50k per year. Would they look at the 50k when determining alimony or would they look at the 62k vs. 45k? I also am giving her the house which only has about 10k of equity in it, but I'm not asking her to buy me out I know every judge is different. I'm just looking for a ball park answer as to how much and how long I would have to pay alimony. (Best case vs worst case scenario).
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, child support is a factor when calculating alimony. Typically alimony is about 15% to 30% of the difference in income, and if income differential becomes smaller due to child support, then so would alimony. In that situation you can argue that the courts look to 50k as the alimony figure as otherwise you would be paying far more due to an imbalance in required payments as it is. The worst case scenario is lifetime, but generally you are looking at 50% to 75% of the length of the marriage as your alimony obligation.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.