TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Would a judge ever award custody to my husband if he is

Customer Question

Would a judge ever award custody to my husband if he is never home when the child is and it would be the step parent raising the child. Even if my child with me has not a great school attendance record. DFS has never been involved.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

It seems unlikely that a judge would award custody to your ex if he is never home, and the step-parent would raise him. First and foremost, judges do not usually remove children from the primary caregiver (I'm assuming this is you in this situation). On the other hand, that assumes that there are no problems with your child living with you. If your child has a poor school attendance record with you, and the reason is not legitimate illness, then the judge may choose the lesser of two evils and award custody to your ex. The bot***** *****ne is that the judge is ultimately going to do what is in the child's best interests.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.