Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If a spouse leaves me pregnant, is he required by law to

Customer Question

If a spouse leaves me pregnant, is he required by law to still cover my health insurance? IS it illegal to not cover health insurance? I'm a stay at home mom and have been married 15 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

To answer your question directly, no there are no specific laws that require a divorcing husband to carry his ex wife on his insurance, even if she is pregnant. However, he will likely have to continue to pay for her insurance while the divorce is pending, which is usually enough time for the baby to be born, as it can take several months for a divorce to become final. However, once it becomes final, he will not be required to pay. He may, however, be required to pay alimony and will be required to pay child support.