Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am trying to get a new judgment state to continue and try

Customer Question

I am trying to get a new judgment for the state to continue and try to collection unpaid child support for the past 21 years. My son will be 22 on October 1st the child support services states they will only try to collect the support that was from a previous judgment back in 1996 for 4,496.00. However since he will be 22 they will no longer try to collect current due child support which is around 30,000.00. I was told if I got a new judgment on the current dollars past due they will continue to try and collect that as well for another 8 years however I need to file some papers? (What papers and how to go about this I have no idea how to get the judgment with the 3rd district court). I am on disability and very limited income and cannot afford a lawyer to do this and was wondering if I could get some advise on how I could do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt and ask the court for a sum certain order on the arrears. Once the court issues the new judgment, then you can give that to support enforcement and they can try to collect for 8 more years. The forms are at: https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/family/enforcement/