Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

My former husband was ordered to pay alimony by income

Customer Question

My former husband was ordered to pay alimony by income deduction order when we were divorced in 1999. The company that he has worked for in the US followed this order for years. A year and a half ago he moved to Wales, UK to work for this company and quit paying his alimony payments. I contacted the company in Wales and was told that they did not have to honor this court order from the US unless I went through the courts in Wales. I am trying to find out how to go about this
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

So the UK has a process called the Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders, which the US is part of. You will need to apply for your alimony order to be enforced in the country where the payer resides (the UK). Note though that Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, and DC are excluded from this process and therefore alimony orders from those states cannot be enforced even when properly presented in the UK.

You may want to contact the "International Family Law Group" that practices in the UK. They may be able to help you enforce your alimony order overseas. Their web-address is: http://www.iflg.uk.com/services/finances/enforcement-of-foreign-financial-orders