P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

We have a 16 years old friend whose father has abandoned

Customer Question

We have a 16 years old friend whose father has abandoned her. She does not want to go into foster care and would like to live with us and go to school. I do not have formal custody. Is it possible to get her into school with DFS involved
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question
For you to enroll her, you will need to have custody in some manner.
One way to accomplish this would be to have the court appoint you as "guardian" of the child.
The court would grant guardianship, to you, if you can demonstrate that this would be best for the child.
There are a few ways to approach this.
One would be to go to DFS and request they assist you. They have lawyers on staff who can file the request to the court. OR, if DFS does not support this, you could hire an attorney and have them prepare and present this request to the court.
What you are describing? Sounds like you have a good chance, if the child wants to live with you and you can provide a safe home ? I would expect the court to grant the request.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.