LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

This question is pertaining to child custody exchanges with

Customer Question

This question is pertaining to child custody exchanges with all exchanges being made at 6 pm.
If the mother is to have the child 5 days prior to school starting and school begins on Monday the 17th, when should the exchange take place?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
I see where the potential confusion arises, because the order is not specific as to whether the 5 days must be full 24 hour periods. Because it is not specified, then it will not be presumed to be a full 24 hour period---but rather simply the date that the return is due.
When the court orders that the child will be returned to one parent 5 days before the start of school, and if school begins on the 17th, that simply requires that sometime on or before the 12th of the month that the child must be returned to that parent.
Whether the child is returned to the parent before or at 6:00 PM doesn't matter, so long as the child is returned on or before the 12th.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug