ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I'm visiting my girlfriend in CA now and we're considering

Customer Question

I'm visiting my girlfriend in CA now and we're considering getting married (so that I can join her greencard application). We can get the marriage licence and civil marriage done next week in Santa Cruz, but we need a Prenub.
Can we use a standard online prenub to protect assets and e.g. future depts (in case we start businesses)? Is such prenub enforceable without legal council, a witness or 7 day waiting period?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It's a "prenup" (short for prenuptial). Yes, you can use a standard prenup to protect assets and future debts. It is absolutely enforceable without legal counsel (although lack of legal counsel could be argued by someone seeking to overrule that prenup, arguing that there was coercion or other undue influence...), and you don't need a witness or waiting period. Having it notarized helps, as there's additional evidence showing that the signatures are legit.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?