Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I'm in a living relationship but not married with an

Customer Question

I'm in a living relationship but not married with an alcoholic and we have been together for 14 years with shared financial assets. He is getting verbal abusive and I cannot continue down this path. He has alienated my family and I don't have any close friends because of the alcohol issues. He drinks constantly with his friends. What can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

First, if you are in fear of bodily harm, you may want to consider seeking a restraining order against him. Also, if he has threatened you with physical harm, you can file assault charges.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As for splitting up jointly-owned assets and moving on, you'll have to try and agree to dividing things.....and if you can't.....you may have to file a lawsuit and have the judge do the dividing.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As for the living situation, if one of you owns the home.....the other will likely have to leave. If the no -owner refuses, then the owner could evict the other one.

If the house is jointly owned, then it would be a part of the partition action to divide property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The houses are in his name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sold my house 9 years ago and moved in with him. We have lived together prior to my selling my house. We used the profits from my house to buy joint assets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think he is going to hurt me but he might try an take all the assets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at my brother's house and need to return soon or face some more verbal abusiveness for not coming home.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.
If he owns the house, you'd have to leave or face eviction since you're not married. Also, if he attempts to take all assets, you will be able to contest that legally.
If you Re afraid of a confrontation when you return, call these local sheriffs office and request a deputy to accompany you.