Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I WOULD LIKE TO MOVE OUT AND WAIT TO TELL MY WIFE I WANT A

Customer Question

I WOULD LIKE TO MOVE OUT AND WAIT TO TELL MY WIFE I WANT A DIVORCE WHEN SHE GETS SERVED. IS THIS ABANDOMENT IF I STILL CONTINUE TO PAY ALL THE BILLS AND CHILD SUPPORT
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
No, it isn't. Abandonment means that you've stopped all contact, visits, and financial support. Also, abandonment would require that you be gone for at least a year before she could seek divorce on that grounds, and you're allowed to file a no-fault divorce based on an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage that has lasted only 6 months. So you'll be able to file for divorce before her if she wants to try to claim abandonment.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can move out. Meeting with my lawyer next Thursday
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
you're allowed to move out.