Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Can someone live with a boyfriend and still receive alimony

Customer Question

Can someone live with a boyfriend and still receive alimony in the state of Illinois
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act provides that one of the several factors which will justify a termination of maintenance is the cohabitation of the maintenance recipient with another person on a resident, continuing conjugal basis.
You can read that at the link
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/075000050k510.htm
This is the section that applies
(c) Unless otherwise agreed by the parties in a written agreement set forth in the judgment or otherwise approved by the court, the obligation to pay future maintenance is terminated upon the death of either party, or the remarriage of the party receiving maintenance, or if the party receiving maintenance cohabits with another person on a resident, continuing conjugal basis.
Any obligation of a payor party for premium payments respecting insurance on such party's life imposed under subsection (f) of Section 504 is also terminated on the occurrence of any of the foregoing events, unless otherwise agreed by the parties. Any termination of an obligation for maintenance as a result of the death of the payor party, however, shall be inapplicable to any right of the other party or such other party's designee to receive a death benefit under such insurance on the payor party's life.
I suggest that you can file a Motion to Terminate the Spousal Maintenance in the court where it was granted. You will state your evidence that the party is cohabitating with another who is helping to support them.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.
Thank you