How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently our 18 year old grandson came to visit from Tenn.

Customer Question

Recently our 18 year old grandson came to visit from Tenn. He is our sons child out of wedlock. When he lived in Darke County, OH we helped his mother raise him even though she had full custody. We had visitation rights every other weekend and more. We became very close to him as he did us. She married for a second time when he was in grade school and moved to Tenn. We kept in touch and always had him visit and we went down to see him. This month he asked us if he could come back home to OH and live with our family. We always told him he was welcome to come back anytime. My daughter and son-in-law took him in. He is about to start his Senior year. We have yet to hear from his mother but she did send him his birth certificate and social security card. My question is how do we get his Child Support Payments stopped from going to her? My daughter wants to set up an account for him that the support payments would go into and use this money for his needs. ex. car insurance, school supplies. He is working now for the family business to earn spending money. He is covered by his fathers health insurance and hers. Will her insurance still need to cover him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
You would need to formally file for 'guardianship' of the grandson. Once you obtain guardianship, as guardians you can then demand that any child support go to you as you are the ones who are caring for the child. But obtaining guardianship is key, as without it you would have no legal basis to pursue any rights on behalf of the child. And yes, her insurance would still need to cover him while he resides with you, unless you obtain guardianship and elect to move him to your policy.
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hep! Please let me know if I can ever assist you further. otherwise, if satisfied, kindly do not forget to positively rate. Thank you!


Dimitry, Esq.

Related Family Law Questions