RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I owe my lawyer $6000 and lost my job due to closure of the

Customer Question

I owe my lawyer $6000 and lost my job due to closure of the facility. I am a Marine vet and had to go through retraining. My ability to pay my attorney is difficult even though I am employed, but make one third of my previous salary and have child support to pay as well as provide for my family.
I need to file for change on my child support payments. My lawyer of record won't answer my calls. How can I file for change on child support without my lawyer? I live in Santa Cruz, Ca.
Thank you,
Chris
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you this evening.

The California Courts website actually provides step by step instructions (together with links to the forms that you'll need) on how to file forms yourself to request a reduction in your support due to a change in your circumstances. Rather then copy and paste the whole thing here (it's a lot of information) I'll link you to it, and you can always REPLY back to me on this thread if you need additional information or clarification:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1196.htm

You may have to scroll towards the bottom of the page to see the section on "Going to court yourself."