Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I am legally married but have been separatedo 2years and I

Customer Question

Hello I am legally married but have been separatedo for almost 2years and I am moving to your lovely state to be with my boyfriend and we would like to get married someday soon so I would like some advice but my husband I actually have no idea where he is located at haven't talked to him in over a year and every state has different rules on how to proceed on getting a divorce and plus since I am moving to Nashville I figured to get the ball rolling. .so could you please give me some advice and idea of what I need to do... and thank you u can email me at ***@******.*** or on my cell is 720-589-033 thank you sincerely Michelle Olson I will be looking forward to hearing from someone soon. Thanks again
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Tennessee requires that one of the spouses live in the state for at least six months prior to filing for divorce. Tenn. Code, Section 36-4-104. So, if you want to get a quick divorce, it would have to be filed in Missouri before you move.
Once the divorce is filed, Tennessee has a 60 day waiting period if you have no minor children together, or 90 days if you have minor children. So that can delay things a bit more.
Missouri only has a 30 day waiting period from the date you file. You have to have lived in Missouri for at least 90 days before filing for divorce, but do not have to live there when the divorce is finalized. You may have to travel back to Missouri for the hearing.
IF you do not know how to find your husband, in either state, you're allowed to serve him by publishing notice of the lawsuit in the local newspaper. One of the requirements is that you detail things you've done to locate your spouse, so one way to help get things moving is to call any mutual friends or relatives, search social media, and things like that.
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.