How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26322
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Divorced in 1989....Alimony $..1300 per month I am 78 yrs.

Customer Question

Divorced in 1989....Alimony $..1300 per month I am 78 yrs. old need HELP
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. What is it that I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would like to reduce my monthly fee
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You would need to file a motion with the court to modify support. If your spousal support is modifiable and you wish to change the payments, you must be able to prove there has been a significant material change to your income over time. Monthly spousal support payments can be decreased accordingly. A significant material change could include:

  • Remarriage of the recipient
  • New expenses on behalf of the child
  • Job loss or a pay cut
  • Illness or injury that prevents the spouse from earning a full salary, or creates high medical expenses

As such, if you can show this is present, you can have it decreased, especially at your age if you are retired and have limited income, which has decreased since it was previously ordered.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have given me hope thank you.....FEE?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Yes, at this time you just need to rate my help so I can get credit. There should be a pop up box or a link to click.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again