How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27010
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Story, but I lost custody of my son at 13yrs old. He's now

Customer Question

Long story, but I lost custody of my son at 13yrs old. He's now 16. I have custody of my 9yr old daughter. My ex lied to the courts and said I abused my son and got a protection order against me for 6 weeks. We were going through the divorce at the time so because of that, I lost custody. Pretty ridiculous. Anyway, my now 16yr old lives with my ex and is using/selling drugs, he's never at his condo, always out and about, his grades are suffering and he's appears very depressed. I am afraind something bad will happen unless I can either get him into a rehab, which my ex would never agree to or some type of boot camp where he can learn respect for me and others around him. I don't know how to help my son in an environment where there is no parental control and he's out doing whatever he wants. Please help me so my son doesn't end up dead or in jail. What do I do, since I don't have custody anymore? Thank you.
Angela C.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello Angela

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest that you can file a Modification of the current child custody order. You can do that on your own, by getting the Modification form from the Clerk of the Court where the custody was issued. You can use this behavior and concern for the best interest of your child as your basis for the request.

The court will look at everything when determining if the modification should be granted. I suggest if you can get any hard and solid evidence that your son is using drugs or participating in criminal behavior that is going to be most beneficial.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you