mkc1959
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
55483656

If I did not challenge paternity of a child at the time the

Customer Question

If I did not challenge paternity of a child at the time the fraud happened, am I liable to pay support for the child? The mother knows exactly who the child’s blood father is, but she came after me for child support- even though she signed a document saying that I was no longer required to pay support for the child. The document was not notarized, but it has a witness signature. My name is ***** ***** child’s birth certificate as the father. We divorced and there is a court order to pay child support in the state of Georgia. So right now some of my wages are being garnished for current/past due child support. Is there anything I can do to fight this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

In most states, you would have little or no chance of terminating the child support. However in Georgia, there is a law that may allow you to terminate the child support. The law has very strict requirements and you should consult a local attorney in your area about this. Depending on the facts, it may be discretionary with the court to terminate the child support or not. I would certainly encourage you to consult with a local attorney in your area. Please let me know what additional questions you may have. I want to fully respond to your question so that I may be paid.