Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My grandson just turned 18. Child support was set up in Al

Customer Question

My grandson just turned 18. Child support was set up in Al where his father lives. Father has payed 225 monthly for years even though his salary is now 5x his x wife's. Father still has a year of child support. Has never paid anywhere near 50% of child's expenses.
Child is off to college . Dad balking. Has assets and great credit. My question : is it worth taking him back to court? Would judge set an amount he would be required to help?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
Under Alabama law, child support is payable until the child is 19 or until they graduate high school if they have obtained the age of 18 by that time of graduation.
Unless the Father agreed to contribute to the college expenses in the divorce then there is no legal obligation once the child graduated high school
If the child is disabled and not able to support himself, work through college, then I suggest the court would rule in the child's favor for further contributions. However, if the child is healthy and able to help with his own expenses a court would more than likely rule against such a request.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.
Thank you