Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I received my first retirement check as a result of a

Customer Question

I received my first retirement check as a result of a settlement agreement for December 2012. I called the SERS office to see if this was a benefit that I would receive for life or how long I could expect to receive the checks. I was told until the member's death (my ex-husband). I may have agreed to this based on what I can tell from reading the DRO. I don't completely understand the language in the document. This document was filed with the marital settlement agreement. My attorney did not sign the DRO. My ex-husbands attorney did sign it.
This is clearly not what I want. Is this something that can be changed? Can you guide me in the correct direction. If my ex-husband's death should occur today, I get no retirement which was not my understanding.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
This is clearly not what I want. Is this something that can be changed?

Response 1: It depends on the wording.
Can you guide me in the correct direction. If my ex-husband's death should occur today, I get no retirement which was not my understanding.
Response 2: You need to contact the Attorney who represented you in the matter. That's where to start. I am not sure why your Attorney did not sign this very important document, but your ex-husband's Attorney did.