Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

My daughter and I are on the deed of a farmhouse where my

Customer Question

My daughter and I are on the deed of a farmhouse where my daughter has lived for 25 years. My granddaughter from another daughter moved in with her two years ago. In the last month, my granddaughter let her boyfriend move in against my instructions. Now, an incident happened last night when the sheriffs were called after I asked him to leave and he refused. He does not pay any rent, utilities, etc. and neither does my granddaughter. My daughter pays for everything. The sheriffs came and we thought the boy and his friends had left the premises. Then we saw he was still there. We called the police department again and they said the boy had changed his address and drivers license to my daughters address and we would have to go through an eviction process.
Why is that the case when he has no lease, does not pay anything, did not have permission to move in and the property is owned by my daughter and me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will assist you this morning.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, once someone establishes a place as their residence they can not be evicted without going through the eviction process. The law treats the resident as a month to month tenant.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

First, you will need to give one month notice in writing that the boyfriend has to leave. specify a date in the notice when the tenancy ends.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If he still has not left you will need to file a forcible detainer.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, his status as a "tenant" is legally established by being a resident. A written lease or rent payment is not required.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions before you rate mys service to you?