Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Are there any federal statues that address termination of

Customer Question

Are there any federal statues that address termination of child support arrearage obligations?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Child support is a matter set by state laws. There are no federal laws regarding termination of support. There are federal agreements and uniform guidelines for enforcement of support between one state and another, but they do not deal with actual child support being paid and how much, that is up to the state laws and these cases have to be in the state courts primarily.
Even though a child may have died, arrears are for past support and as such they can still be collected. There is no basis to terminate the arrears just because the child has died, termination of support when a child dies would be for future support, but not arrears I am afraid.