Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I'm getting SSI and DISABILTY, I was never told about or if

Customer Question

I'm getting SSI and DISABILTY, I was never told about or if I could claim my daughter that lives with me and still goes to school,I was wondering if I could still claim her. I take care of her she lives with me, and she wasn't even brought up on my case. What should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you need to file your claim with SSA for "dependent benefits" and the SSA will look into the time that you were on disability and how long the child has been with you during the time you have been collecting. The SSA will make a retroactive award of dependent benefits to you if they find that the child qualified during the time you received your benefits. See: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0300203001#a1