Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My ex husband has been paying child support although my

Customer Question

My ex husband has been paying child support although my children are 20 and 23. Today he suddenly stopped without warning. Do I have any recourse
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
California law only requires that child support be paid until the child turns 18, unless they're still in high school. So, you typically would not be entitled to any child support for a 20 and 23-year-old unless (a) he's got some past due amounts that he's been paying on, or (b) the court order requires him to continue contributing.
The first step is to review your court order and see what it says. If it requires contribution toward college or payment beyond age 18, then you have the ability to file an Order to Show Cause and ask the judge to force him to start paying again. Or if he's in arrears, you can also file an Order to Show Cause for that reason. If he was simply paying voluntarily, I'm sorry to say, there's no recourse when he stops.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.