FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

If you have given more support then required by law can you

Customer Question

If you have given more support then required by law can you ask the judge to take into consideration when reinstating the child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Can you share with me the issue with the reinstate of support and what is being sought and asked for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reinstatement is for child support that ended 6/30/2015. It is being reinstated because the child in question is only seventeen and not yet graduated from high school. Futhermore, this judgment was in error and I have no problem with paying but I have in previous times given my ex spouse more than was ordered. And I was wondering if the judge would take that into consideration if I have all documentation proving that I gave her more. And this paperwork was given to child support services at the time they began to garnish my wages.
Thank you. I am sorry to say but it is not likely the Judge would give credit for the additional money paid. The reason I say this is because that was voluntarily done and at your sole discretion and was not ordered by the court. Yes, it is fantastic that you did this to help the child BUT could not come back now and say you do not owe the continued support because you gave more then you had to, previously.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!