Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

The orginal order support ended in 6/2015. The child

Customer Question

The orginal order for child support ended in 6/2015. The child in question is seventeen. He will turn eighteen in February. The final paperwork was singed off by all parties seven years ago, include in the judge. All parties were of sound mind. The error was noted by my ex. Can a change happen even if all paperwork states case is closed?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Yes, a change can indeed happen. No child support order is 100% set in stone--if there are changes in employment or in income changes or amendments to the support can take place. Likewise, if there is an error with the order, such as listing it to end when the child is still not a legal adult, the courts can most definitely amend and extend the support until the child is 18 or graduated from high school, whichever is LATER. It does not matter if the parties were of sound mind, the right to pursue support is not the parental right but an obligation on behalf of the child--and no parent can sign off the right to seek support, sound mind or no, if the child is still eligible to receive it. Sincerely, ***** *****