Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I have emergency custody of my children. Their mother is incarcerated.

Customer Question

I have emergency custody of my children. Their mother is incarcerated. I don't have access to their things or their important information such as ss# ***** shot records and I have to enroll them in school in a week. How do I get these things?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Where are their items stored, do you know? I ask because you may want to try to obtain an emergency order to permit you to re-enter and take their things. Finding their Social Security numbers is generally possible by contacting the Social Security Administration and providing them with a copy of your emergency decree or your proof that you are the legal parent (as you are then entitled to the SSN). My concern is the shot records--I suppose you can try to contact the past school district along with proof of custody so that they could speak with you, and use that as the means of obtaining the records. Beyond that you can try to guess which doctor the mother used and contact the doctor for the file. Sincerely, ***** *****