Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I want to know if I can get my license back when I owe back

Customer Question

I want to know if I can get my license back when I owe back child support even when they are taking payments out of my paychecks the dmv says I have to pay 20,000 dollars before I can get them back but I can not continue to pay my support if I can not drive to my job that is out of town because where I live we have no public transportation and also I sent a form into the child support inforcement agency to get my payments lowered but have not received any info back yet and it has been a month now
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the state of IL will not reinstate a license if more than $2500 in arrears is due. The court is the only one who could order a waiver or issuance of a hardship license for very good cause to allow the paying parent to work. However, child support enforcement will not reduce or give any waivers your only chance is in the court and the court will have to have proof that the only way you could work to pay the support is to have at least a restricted license to allow you to drive back and forth to work. You will need an attorney to assist you in presenting the evidence to the court regarding your dire need for the license and no other way to get to work.