originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

My daughters Dad is not on the birth certificate 2yrs ago he

Customer Question

My daughters Dad is not on the birth certificate 2yrs ago he completed a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit but I never filed it because we were getting along. But now were not and I received a call from his Attorney stating they're gonna serve me with paperwork to force me to take a DNA test for her. My question if I go down to vital statistics and file that paperwork am I gonna still have to do the test?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can file it, provided it was properly executed in front of a notary. There is a $30 fee however, because it wasn't filed within 14 days of the birth of your daughter. If all of these instructions here https://public.health.oregon.gov/BirthDeathCertificates/ChangeVitalRecords/Documents/Paternity%20Docs/45-21instr.pdf have been followed, you should be able to file it and that should stave off the DNA test. DNA tests are usually fairly non-invasive, but they do cost money so if you can get the paperwork filed, that would save you some cash.