Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

In Oklahoma if parents are not married and no custody has been

Customer Question

In Oklahoma if parents are not married and no custody has been set up in court but the state has ordered the father to pay child support, who legally has custody? Child is now 12 has lived with the mom until last summer and since then they have allowed him to go back and forth. Now can't agree on what grade to enroll him in. Who has final say?
Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..The mother would be the default physical custodial parent in the absence of any court order stating otherwise. If there was a dispute over who had the final say about the school enrollment question, then either parent could file a motion in the court that set the child support amounts to have a judge determine who has the right to make that decision..But as a general rule, if the child lives with one parent during the school year normally, then that is the parent who would have the right to determine where the child was enrolled. If the other parent objected, they can then seek primary custody through the courts and then they would have the final say...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Helpful
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome..Did you have any further questions I can help with?..thanksBarrister