Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

We have a custody agreement where the father allows me to

Customer Question

We have a custody agreement where the father allows me to take a 7 day trip to Costa Rica. I had originally asked for 10. At the time of creating the agreement I asked my lawyer if I can piggyback those seven days onto my own custodial time to total 10 days and he said yes people do this all the time which is the only reason I agreed to "7". However my ex is saying no and that it's not possible.
Per our court order I have permission to travel internationally and domestically during my own custodial time so my question is can I add my own custodial time to the seven days to extend my trip?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Yes, you can, unless the court order has some specific language about combining your custody time with vacations. You're entitled to your normal parenting time plus the vacation. If it happens to overlap, then you get both. If he wanted to switch days to accommodate your vacation, and the court order doesn't say that you have to, then he would have needed to include that as part of the negotiation.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.