Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

How do I legally change my child's last name? I need to

Customer Question

How do I legally change my child's last name? I need to remove the original father on the birth certificate ( not the father by DNA test.) I need to add my husband & have researched online via Texas Vital Statistics. Said to take the Application for a
New Birth Certificate Based on Parentage & have my husband & me sign in front of a notary on the new request for a Birth Certificate. Mail 1. the Application for a New Birth Certificate Based on Parentage 2. Copy of Marriage certificate 3. $22 Payment to Texas
Vital Statistics in Austin. (Also, I will include a copy of tests showing original father not the biological father.) Is there anything else I need to mail? I have read & reread numerous times & this is what is listed to have my daughter's birth certificate
changed correctly.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
changed correctly.

Response: If you are removing one father and adding another, you must have a Court Order to do so. If you have not done so, you need to file Petition with the Court for name change of the minor. Then once the Court approves your request, you can use the Order to remove the current father and add your husband’s on the Certificate:
https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/vs/reqproc/amendparentage.shtm
You need to obtain the forms for name change at your local Courthouse in the Clerk's office. You may also use this site to get instructions:
http://texaslawhelp.org/issues/family-law-and-domestic-violence/name-change