Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I was divorced 20 years ago. The divorce decree indicated

Customer Question

I was divorced 20 years ago. The divorce decree indicated our son was to be irrevocable on my ex-husband's insurance. He probably worked for different places and would have been covered by insurance at the places he worked and would not have been the same insurance as at the time of divorce. My ex-husband died November 24, 2013. I know it has been awhile, but should my son be the one the receive any insurance benefits?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello -
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law issue today.
Do you irrevocable as a life insurance beneficiary? Or health insurance?
Thanks,
Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Life & Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Life insurance was irrevocable. Was supposed to carry health insurance, but I don't believe he ever did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The divorce took place in Memphis, TN. He lived a number of different places but was in Los Angeles just prior to death. Was moving into a new home in Colorado and fell down stairs and died.
I guess it broke his neck.
Thank you.
IF your son was actually placed as the beneficiary, then yes, he would be able to receive the benefits in the case of his father's death. Since the divorce happened 20 years ago, there is no telling if your son was placed as a beneficiary or not. You may be able to call your ex husband's estate executor to inquire.
I hope this helps.
If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.
Michael