Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

In May my fathers son agreed to pay half of our child's

Customer Question

In May my fathers son agreed to pay half of our child's schooling tuition. Our child is 2 and a half and attends the goddard school. It is now July going on August and my fathers son has not paid anything. Can I legally get him to pay the other half? We
have joint legal custody, not physical.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If you enrolled your child in the school based on the father's agreement to pay half, yes, you can legally get him to pay the rest. This is called promissory estoppel. You have the ability to file a Motion for School Tuition, asking the judge to order the father to pay. If you have a written agreement or any writing that acknowledges the agreement, attach it. But even without a writing, if the judge believes he made the promise, and that promise induced you to sign your child up for the school, he has to pay half.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed our son up myself (I discussed with father and he approved and agreed) and the father did not go with me when I did this but he later contacted the school himself, visited, and receives email updates so is it still the same that 'yes' I can get him to legally pay his half?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
All of that can be used as evidence that he agreed, yes. And you're also allowed to tell the judge about the conversation the two of you had.