Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

We can't afford an attorney. But if you show records from

Customer Question

We can't afford an attorney. But if you show records from Lifeline of the fathers missed counseling and Sunday visitation will that be good enough for the courts? His family hired an attorney and I don't know if we are not being wise by not having an attorney
with us.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.It is best to have an attorney if possible, yes. Missed visitation is not the most convincing argument. Just because he missed visitation does not mean that he would not be able to be a good father (I am being the devil's advocate). So while this helps, it is not the perfect argument.Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can an attorney do for us? We don't want to pay an attorney just to get the same results if we represented ourselves.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the civil rules of procedure? How to put on evidence? How to properly object? How to draft and file a proper pleading for the matter at hand? If you feel you do, then good, however, I am guessing that you likely do not - most people without legal training do not know the basics of legal procedure.
Just as much as one would not do self-surgery to avoid paying a physician, it is best to use an attorney for a legal matter for best results.
I am not trying to sound conceited - this is not what I am attempting to do. I am simply stating that for best results, one does use counsel.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.