Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Adoptions: I spent a little bit of time researching adoptions

Customer Question

Adoptions:
I spent a little bit of time researching adoptions online but was surprised that it isn't clear if a single person can adopt and what the likelihood of a single person being able to adopt a child.
It seems most of the information is focused on a couple or husband and wife but, as a single male, I want children. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

There is absolutely no law in MD or any other state that forbids a single male or single female from adopting a child. The courts merely consider whether the person would be a suitable and fit parent for the child and would be able to care for the child. Some agencies have rules that they will only deal with couples, but that is not any law written anywhere. If you can find someone who would agree to allow you to adopt you can do a private adoption as a single person without any issues.

You can contact some of the local adoption agencies and some do work with single individuals for adoptions because MD law does not allow denial of adoption only because a person seeking to adopt is single.