FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

What is a common law marriage in Montana?

Customer Question

what is a common law marriage in Montana?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Common Law Marriage is recognized in the State of Montana. MCA 40-1-403. It is a marriage formed without a license and solemnization. The Montana Supreme Court has set out the elements for creating a valid common law marriage. First, the parties must be competent to enter into a marriage. Second, the parties entered into the marital arrangement by mutual consent and agreement. And finally third, the parties confirmed their marriage by cohabitation and public repute. In the Matter of the Estate of Ober. 62 P2d 1114, 314 Mont. 20, 2003 MT 7 (2003). If all these elements are present, there there is a basis for a common law marriage to be present, between the parties.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!