Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in New York State and my wife and I are having problems

Customer Question

I live in New York State and my wife and I are having problems so I want to take some time for for myself. We have two cars both of which are in her name. I was planning on using one of the cars for my trip. We also have a joint checking account where she is the primary and a savings account where I am the primary. If I decide to take this trip with the car that is in my wife's name and withdraw some money from our joint checking and or savings is there any legal action she can take against (me we are still married). Tnx R
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. If the vehicle was purchased during the marriage.....then it is marital property and you would have an ownership interest in the vehicle even if your name isn't on the title.....so you should have no issue there.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
As for the checking account, if it is jointly owned, then all of the money in the account belongs to both of you, and there would be no issue with you taking some or even all of the money out of the account....it's your money.