Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What are the legal requirements foreigners to marry

Customer Question

What are the legal requirements for two foreigners to marry in Egypt and have the marriage fully enforceable under Egyptian law? Can you provide a sample legal marriage contract?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.
Foreigners must marry at the local marriage court in Egypt in accordance with Islamic practices. The exact procedure depends on what country you are from. Are you from the United States?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The marriage in question is between one party who is a British National who resides in the United States and one party who is a Lebanese National who resides in the United States.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need sample legal marriage contracts.
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.
A written marriage contract is not required in Egypt in order to marry. What you need is as follows:Valid Pass­ports, 2 pho­to­copies of the detail’s page and visa page (pho­to­copy of res­i­dency stamp, if applicable)Affidavits/Statutory Dec­la­ra­tions stat­ing that each party is free to marry and 2 pho­to­copies (obtained and nota­rized by the Embassy in your home coun­try or by your Embassy in Cairo—valid for one month, check with your Embassy prior to mak­ing any travel arrangements )5 per­sonal pho­tographs of each party (4x6 cm)A “Ta’meen Igti­maei” stamp (eas­ily obtained from any Post Office in Egypt)Orig­i­nal or cer­ti­fied divorce decree or death cer­tifi­cates and 2 pho­to­copies, if applic­a­ble. Note that 90 days must pass from the date on the divorce decree to remarry. If wid­owed, 130 days must pass from the date on the death cer­tifi­cate to remarry. If preg­nant, you must wait until after child­birth to remarry.In some cases, a phys­i­cal exam­i­na­tion (by Egypt­ian doctor)Any change of name requires stamped and dated legal proof by a solic­i­tor and 2 pho­to­copies. This applies to any name change includ­ing those who have mar­ried, taken a new name, divorced, and changed back to a maiden name.For what purpose do you want a written marriage contract? Are you talking about a prenuptial agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father died in June. A woman has come forward with a copy of a "Sharia Marriage Contract" that, in my opinion, appears to be a nikah urfi. I have been told by the Egyptian Consulate that the paper means nothing and is illegal without evidence of registration, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need any samples of affadavits, etc. that would have to be provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the case of a marriage that does have a written contract, I need to know exactly what it should contain including stamps, fingerprints, photos, etc. and how it must be registered.
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.
Let me make sure I understand you're trying to prove that there is no legal marriage and this woman claims that the Sharia Marriage Contract is proof of a marriage? And when you say that you need a sample of affidavits that would have to be provided provided by whom to whom and for what purpose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not helping me. Can I get a refund please?