Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been paying alimony 40 years. What problems

Customer Question

I have been paying alimony for over 40 years. What problems will I face if I stop paying now? The original marriage lasted less that 14 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.If you are currently under a court order to pay alimony and you simply stop, you could be brought back to court by your wife, and the judge could hold you in contempt of court. A contempt could entail a fine or even jail time.
If you believe you are entitled to stop paying alimony, you should file a motion in court asking the judge to modify the order which requires you to pay. If that's granted, then you can stop. But, you cannot simply decide on your own to stop paying if there is a court order in place telling you that you have to.