Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been having problems with my 13 year old son and we

Customer Question

I have been having problems with my 13 year old son and we went to a psychiatrist, we explained the home situation etc anyway after 5 minutes talking to us she said he is on the autism spectrum , we explained some more situations in the home and then she spoke to him for a short while after then she rushed us saying she had other clients. She spoke in front of my son in the hallway and said again he has super high functioning autism. I left in tears and as very upset, i told all the family and friends (mainly on fb due to being in another country) we told his sports and neighbors. We had an appointment with her associate who was a therapist who wanted me to go back each week, they don't take insurance and are very costly. We had more problems with my son and when trying to make another appointment to go back and see the psychiatrist i was told i couldn't get in for almost two months, even after being rushed out and not understanding everything. I called and asked for a letter and a medical assistant on the phone starting telling me the diagnosis of my son and when i explained thats not what we were told she apologized and hung up ! Anyway we eventually got a letter in the mail and it said about situations at home that were not accurate, she said he played rough with the baby until the point of injury. We NEVER ever said that. It said she diagnosed a mood disorder and ADHD??? hold on, where did the high functioning autism diagnosis go ??? The letter was not what she said to us or what was said in the initial consultation at all, we waited weeks to see her and had to pay with our savings and she also stated we did not do a follow up that was recommended, we tried but it was almost two months later ??? I'm really upset by this and emotionally stressed and distraught by these lies and the fact iv told everyone about what she initially said to us. What can we do about this ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
I am sorry to read about your difficulties.
Has the Doctor told you why she said one thing and wrote another?
The Doctor cannot rush you in and out of her office and put incorrect things in your son's medical record. She needs to tell you in a professional manner what your son has so that you can seek appropriate treatment for him. Also, if she did infact put somethings in his medical record that are not accurate, she MUST correct the record immediately before this error becomes part of your son's medical record.
While this Doctor is fixing your son's record, you may need to go to another Doctor for consult, for a second opinion.