Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My ex and I have been divorced years, our children

Customer Question

my ex and I have been divorced for many years, our children are grown and we are grandparents now. He has remained in the family home all of this time. As a young foolish divorcing woman, the judge encouraged me to claim half of his retirement during our court appearance but I said no as I felt sorry for him having residential custody of the boys(fool) He is now happily retired with lot's of money and I'm on disability for my back being a nurse for forty years. I struggle from month to month.He is now buying an RV and selling the house. Back in the day, my parents gave us the down payment for this house. Can I now claim half of the assets from the sale or am I out of luck again?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. What was the court's ruling as to the house? You wrote that your ex "remained in the family home." Does this mean the judge awarded the house to your ex? Did the ruling grant you any interest in the house? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I don't remember. I need to find out. How do I go about doing that?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. You need to look at the divorce decree and property settlement agreement. If you don't have a copy, you can get one from the court clerk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, thank you. If it turns out that I need legal council, may I contact you?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. I will be happy to answer your questions in this forum, but I cannot represent you as your legal counsel. You can get a referral to an attorney who can represent you by contacting your local bar association.