S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.
70026054

If I sign all rights over to my ex wife do I pay child support

Customer Question

If I sign all rights over to my ex wife do I pay child support ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.
Q) If I sign all rights over to my ex wife do I pay child support?
Yes.
A parent is obligated to support his or her child until the child reaches the age of majority. The only way a parent is relieved of this obligation is to have his or her parental rights terminated. A court must approve the termination of rights, and generally courts won't do so absent some extraordinary reason.
It is possible for you and your ex to agree for you to not pay child support. But this has to be approved by court order for it to be binding on you and her. A judge may or may not be willing to go along with such an agreement. The judge can override the parties' agreement and force the non-custodial parent to pay child support.
So long as there is a court order that says you have to pay child support, you must continue to do so or face being held in contempt, placed in jail, etc.
I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes to you, Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very helpful
I'm glad to be of assistance. Please let me know if you need clarification, and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.
Otherwise, I hope you'll rate my answer positively as it is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work and doing so will NOT cost you any additional fee.
Best wishes, Customer
Hello again,
I'm writing to follow up on your question. I see you recently viewed my answer, but you didn't issue a rating. If you need clarification about my answer, please ask. Otherwise, please let me know what else I can do, if anything, to earn a positive rating from you.
Thanks again for using our service! Customer