Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

As a 63 year old widow, if I marry a 65 year old widower, in Colorado,

Customer Question

As a 63 year old widow, if I marry a 65 year old widower, in Colorado, would I become responsible to pay his medical bills? He has already been diagnosed with cancer. We had planned to marry and to keep our finances, and even our homes separately.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you this morning.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
The Family Purpose Doctrine applies to make a spouse responsible for debts incurred for a family or household purpose. Originally, it was meant to apply to things such as a family car that was used by both spouses but the debt might only be signed by one. These days, the only creditors who ever use the doctrine are medical debt collectors.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Several County Courts have dismissed collection actions filed by medical debt collectors, but the issue has never been addressed by the Colorado Court of Appeals or the Colorado Supreme Court.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
So, while they may try to hold you liable for your husband's medical debt, unless the Colorado Supreme Court makes a definitve holding, I do not see you being personally liable.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.