Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Is my son considered a adult at age 17 and can he move out

Customer Question

is my son considered a adult at age 17 and can he move out on his own
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is my son considered an adult at age 17 and can he move out on his own? What are my legal obligations if he does so?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..No, the age of majority (i.e. the age at which someone is considered an adult) in Missouri is 18. So if he 17 he is still a minor and can not legally determine where he lives. You as his legal guardian have that power..If he did move out, then your recourse would be to file a runaway complaint with the police and let them see if they could locate him to return him to your home. But to be honest, these cases don't get a very high priority with the police so they don't look for them very hard. But filing the runaway complaint protects you from any claims of abuse or neglect since he has voluntarily left the home without your consent...thanksBarrister